If there has never been a legal title issued in your name you will need to have the legal owner provide you with their legal title document correctly signed over to you. Without the legal title signed over to you, your state’s DMV will not issue you a title even if you have a bill of sale or receipt for the purchase.
Solution: If you have purchased or acquired a vehicle and the prior title is not available, or the prior owner is not available, the least expensive option is to use an out of state title process to obtain your title. If the vehicle is more than 15 years old (2004 or older), the State of Vermont will accept a basic bill of sale to transfer ownership to your name. The other 49 states do not allow for bill of sale to transfer.
- You do not have to live in Vermont
- The vehicle does not have to have come from Vermont
- The bill of sale does not need to be notarized
- The bill of sale can be handwritten or typed
- The bill of sale does not need to be from the last titled owner (can be from anyone)
- Registration and sales tax fees are paid at your convenience, separately from your CarTitles.com order, directly to the Vermont DMV.
Vermont issues a registration form of ownership for 15 year old vehicles. Since that is their version of a title, you can obtain this document in your name by paying the registration fee with just a bill of sale, and then present it to your state DMV who will then issue you a legal title in your name, in your state. This Vermont registration title you receive can be used in all 50 states including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Colorado, New York, Louisiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Indiana, Oregon, Virginia, Nevada, Texas, Iowa, Michigan, Idaho. This process has been used by car collectors, auctions, and brokers for years to solve difficult title problems. Until recently, our website has offered this as a paid service.
You can do this yourself or with assistance.
If completing the application yourself, be sure to follow the instructions very carefully so that the application is not rejected. The most common errors are calculating the taxes and fees wrong, applying for a title instead of a registration, and entering prior owner information.
You will receive a registration / ownership document from the state of Vermont. (Along with valid license plates). Once received, you will bring these to the DMV / title office in your state to exchange for a title issued to your name, in your state. No service fees or title fees paid to online title agents are required.
The State of Vermont is a reg-only jurisdiction for vehicles 15 years or older, and uses this registration form of ownership. Since all states need to recognize other states legal documents, this can be converted to the title in your home state.
- Taxes – If the vehicle transfer has sales tax due, and you have not paid them yet, VT will calculate the amount and mail you the bill for that.
- Liens – If there are open liens on the vehicle the application will be sent back until the lien is paid
- VIN inspection – If the VIN# provided is incorrect, the DMV may require a VIN inspection by local government official in your area
- Recent registration – If a title has been issued in your state recently to someone else, try to obtain a copy of that registration first to eliminate conflicts in ownership.
Bonus: In addition to the legal ownership documents, Vermont will also send you a license plate for registration and operation on the road.
Bill of Sale Only Title Process FAQ
How much will the bill of sale only title process cost me?
When you order with CarTitles.com, our $79 flat fee provides you with all of the documents and instructions to obtain your title!
What about sales tax and registration fees?
You will receive a notice for the sales tax and registration fees separately. You can pay these fees directly to the DMV at any time you wish, by check or money order.
Does my bill of sale need to be notarized?
No, your bill of sale does not need to be notarized.
Can my bill of sale be handwritten?
Yes, your bill of sale can be handwritten or typed.
What does my bill of sale need to include?
Include the VIN, purchase price, purchase date, buyer and seller information
Title Orders Call: 256-448-4853!